Monday, 21 November 2011

...and more berries

Painting the snowberries proved to be a bit more of a challenge than I had expected. The whiteness of the berries against the white paper meant I needed to concentrate on the colours within the reflected light and shadows. Blue, pink and a tinge of ochre appeared and although I tried to use a light touch, I did get a bit carried away and now the berries look a bit grey on close inspection. I kept the leaves underworked to keep a lighter feel but again, my favourite Indanthrene Blue with a touch of Alizarin Crimson and Cadmium Yellow Light proved to be perfect for the job.  

A Winter Mixture (may be nice on Christmas cards for the family)


Rosehips from a wild dog rose proved a better choice and I had great fun mixing the gorgeous orangey-reds. Recently, I have been experimenting with Sennelier colours and their Cadmium Red and Cadmium Yellow Light proved excellent for the basis of the mixes for these rosehips and hawthorn berries. Winsor & Newton Brown Madder is a really rich, covering colour that worked well in the mixes, and was useful for adding depth to the rosehips, while Alizarin Crimson added a pinky hue to the hawthorn. Keeping lots of white paper for the shine on the little cluster of hawthorn berries looked quite nice as the colour spread around and actually behaved itself for once.

3 comments:

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

Beautiful tones. Thanks for sharing this. It's always so lovely to see sketchbook work ad to learn more about colours. I am going to get some new paints soon, so it I am always looking for new info as I haven't bought any in years!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thank you Jessica. I will be re-starting my Diploma in July, (I would have finished the same time as you),so I have time to experiment with new products.Looking in my kit, I could do with some new brushes and I would like to try other papers to the Fabriano Classico 5. I'll let you know how it goes.

Claire said...

Lovely work here,interesting to see what colours you use for the hips and haws- and a colour I don't have is brown madder! but I do like perylene maroon. (I am paint mad too!!!)