Friday, 4 November 2011

Not Enough Days in the Month

Well, there it is, I didn't quite manage to complete the 30/30 challenge. Boo. I did give it my best shot and got 22 finished during October and do intend to finish the page over the next few days. It was a lot harder than I had expected, some of the leaves took a good few hours to do and others less than an hour. Busy days also got in the way and I didn't always get the chance to paint, which was frustrating.

Overall though, I am pleased with my progress and I did manage to meet most of my goals. Trying to include as many different shapes and colours was actually quite difficult, and I think some of my neighbours must have thought I had 'lost it' completely when I was spotted rummaging through hedgerows looking for foliage. The mix of leaves look quite nice together and I have tried to tie them all together by using multiples of grasses and clover and a balance of greens and coloured leaves.  When it is finished, I am hoping to make a print of the whole thing.  

Leaves are life size on A3 Fabriano HP 

Capturing, autumn colour without everything turning muddy was also a bit tricky and I had to practice loads of techniques before starting a new leaf just to gain confidence. The colours I used were, Perylene Maroon and Alizarin Crimson for the reds, and Indanthrene Blue with Winsor Lemon or Cadmium Yellow for many of the greens. Paynes Grey, Sap Green, Burnt and Raw Sienna and Umber were also used in mixes and alone for details and washes.Taking on board lots of advice to keep everything fresh by applying colour carefully in layers using lots of water to help the spread of the mixes helped and I cannot thank Mindy Lighthipe enough for all her tips and advice on her blog. Mindy has produced some absolute stunners this year and has used a variety of mediums and techniques. Great stuff and great inspiration, I will definitely have another go next year.   


4 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Beautiful page of leaves Jarnie - are you on our Facebook Botanical Artists forum?

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Vicki many thanks for your kind comments. I'm not on facebook yet but will be along soon. See you there!

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

I am interested to know you said you are taking a break from SBA - are you in DLDC 7? I am in DLDC 8 - will you be rejoining at all? Is a difficult course with time management .... good luck!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Vicki, hello again. Yes I was on DLDC 7 but will join you in DLDC 8 in time for the working in the field assignment.