This week I started painting the ivy on my little composition. For days I had been avoiding it as I had not been too sure how to go about it and there are so many different types. Ivy is a nightmare. All those veins and greens going on, there is much that can go horribly wrong. Anyway, enough I said just get on with it!!
So, off we go. There are a few varieties of ivy growing in the garden, but the one I settled on has a deep blueish-green leaf, which I thought would set off the red of the rose hips quite well. Looking carefully, the blue-green had a sort of 'under-wash' of a more lemony-green as did the veins of each leaf are considerably more lemony so I needed to be careful there.
Sennelier Cadmium Yellow Light mixed with Ultramarine Light and a touch of Perylene Maroon was used as the first lemony wash over the entire leaf. I have got into the habit of glazing with water first, using quite strong mixes and keeping everything quite wet, 'a la Mindy Lighthipe'. Practising this method has helped a lot and although I am not quite there with perfecting it, this method has really improved my technique.
|The ivy stems are worked with a mix of Burnt Umber|
and some of the lemony green mix with touches of diluted Perylene Maroon
here and there.
Well, better get on, there is much more to do here.