Monday, 19 December 2011

There is always room for cake!

It has been a truly busy week. So much so that I hadn't realised that I hadn't published a post since last Tuesday!! Luckily I am now on top of the present wrapping and the house tidying and the booze buying (ahem!!), now for the cake.

A Christmas cake is a wondrous thing to behold in Britain and is always treated with the greatest reverence. Even if you don't like cake, there is always room for a slice of the richest, fruitiest, booziest of them all, Christmas cake. No wonder we all go on diets in January!

Even so, I made mine in November and it has been maturing nicely awaiting the final flourish of marzipan and a simple icing, (you might as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb at this time of year and go the whole hog with it). Once the creation has been set high upon it's pedestal, (my old and trusted cake stand) there is the final touch of a decoration to stick on the top.

Always a good one for truffling out stuff for just about every occasion my Mum always comes up trumps. last year was no exception when she found this Holly and Ivy number. Botanical themed cake decorating, well done Mum.


 

3 comments:

renatabarillipainter said...

I love your Christmass cake and, when I was in England for my study, I helped to make it.warm memories of a yung girl. Buon Natale to you and to your mammy too!!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Renata, I am glad you have warm memories of being in England. Hoping you have a fab Christmas and best wishes for the New Year. :)

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Love the botanical icing - have a very special Christmas and safe, healthy and happy New Year!