Thursday, 1 December 2011

The Rosehips and The Ivy.

Shouldn't that be holly? Well, you know how the song goes. Many of you are probably in full prep mode, what with Thanksgiving last week, (best wishes to my American friends if you are tuning in) and Christmas just round the corner. Here at Squirrel HQ there has been much activity orientated around the kitchen, cakes, puddings, stuffing, you name it i've baked or cooked it, (keep an eye on my next post for something completely different but festive!!). Oh yes and don't even get me started on present buying. Let's all applaud the blessed Internet!

Project-wise, I took a leaf, (ahem, pardon the pun) out of Rebecca's, (Flora Symbolica) book and decided to tackle a Holly and Ivy study. Rebecca produced a gorgeous colour pencil study earlier this month, and even added the lyrics to get us in festive mood. It was inspiration enough to get me rummaging about in the garden again. I really do think that this is the only time of year that ivy is a welcome sight. Normally I am trying to untangle it from my apple trees. 

You may notice the lack of holly in this one. Well, the berries have not appeared on my holly so I have had to improvise, hence the change of title. Yes, it's those rosehips again! Last one, I promise.     

Initial drawing, shown with a darker, HB outline 
Red Rosehips, showing light source from the left. Colours used:
Cadmium Red, Perylene Maroon, Light Red, a touch of
Ultramarine Light.
(Much of the pencil outline has been removed to aid painting)

Getting the stems started. Cadmium Yellow Light, French Ultramarine
with just a touch of the red mix made a very good green.

Alizarin Crimson with some of the darker neutral mix was used on
the thorns and nodes.






6 comments:

Rebecca said...

ooh...this is going to be absolutely gorgeous...Trying desperately to get mine finished by Sunday. Fingers crossed :)...

MILLY said...

This looks like it is going to be beautiful. I love seeing work in progress, my mind finishing imagines the finished result.
Look forward to seeing it.

Claire said...

OO Lovely so far,very Christmassy xxx

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Love rose hips - they are wonderful to paint. Yours is looking lovely - I too love a WIP .... thanks x

sharp green pencil said...

Hi there and many thanks for your comments on the blog! Your drawings are really lovely. I started the SBA course.. got half way.. :),, too old and set in my ways I think!
Look forward to following your progress.... like your whats on list.. might try and see the B Potter!fab stuff. Val

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi everyone and thank you so much for all of your lovely comments. Hoping to get this finished this week.