Wednesday, 18 January 2012

More Botanical Challenges

Spring would appear to have arrived early and everyone is gearing up for another successful year of painting. After the painting marathon that was the 30/30 leaf challenge back in October you would think that would be enough of a trauma for anyone to get over. Don't you believe it! Botanical painting challenges are everywhere just now.

The work of Mindy Lighthipe always catches my eye and I love her insightful blog posts that offer loads of advice to would be professionals. This year Mindy is attempting to complete one piece for every week of the year, 52/52 as it were. This week's flying fox is just lovely and I urge you to take a look. A little closer to home, ex SBA student Dianne Sutherland is also challenging herself to painting one flower for each week of the year.

Although I attempted the 30/30 leaf challenge, I think I will give these ones a miss for this year as I am preparing to resume the SBA course later this year. That will be enough of a challenge for me. Good luck to any of you attempting these, or any other challenges. Here are some of the leafy lovelies from the October challenge and my sketchbook.



Having a go at a single wash exercise, a la Syriol Sherlock
a very loose style but I quite like that quality here


A Lilac leaf from Assignment 3 'Leaves'

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Best of luck to you as you prepare to resume the SBA program. I would love to enroll possibly in the fall. Any advice about what to expect?

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Lots of hard work I'm afraid but you will certainly enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and all the support from fellow students and tutors. Go for it1