Friday, 3 February 2012

Sore Point Snowdrops!

Well, the snowdrops are as finished as they are going to be. Not quite the mini-masterpiece I was aiming for but good enough to go in the sketchbook for future reference.

The problem was the leaves. Always a tricky one when there are loads of them and they are crossing this way and that through the composition. The drawing looked good to start with but, as I worked through the stems and leaves I could tell that I wouldn't really like the finished result. So I completed a few, just to get the feel of the colours and textures and left it at that. Fickle, I know but sometimes when something isn't coming together there is no point, (here's a turn of phrase for you!) 'flogging a dead horse'. Difficult to picture my poor old snowdrops in quite the same manner but I am sure you get the point. Easy come, easy go and somethimes you have to know when something isn't worth continuing, regardless of what you do.  Better luck next time.


All in a tangle. There was something not right about
those leaves at the back.

2 comments:

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

Well I think it is beautiful! You have captured the white flowers beautifully. So delicate and pretty.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

I think white flowers for me are like yellow ones for you. For some reason they never have enough oomph on the page and then I over do the 'grey'.