Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Getting Back in the Saddle

After months of not doing any assignments, the day has come for me to get my SBA work back under-way. Working in the Field is a lovely assignment and one that I really enjoyed working on. The piece needs to reflect the flora of one habitat using dissections, sketches and watercolour.

For this piece I have chosen a hedgerow habitat just because I love the wildness and occasional surprising find that is often just a stones-throw away from our own doorstep but often ignored. Identifying an extraordinarily large number of species in a relatively small area, I have loads of lovely plants and flowers to choose from.  Hedgerows are actually a priority habitat in the UK Biodiversity Action Plan, supporting a vast number of plant species as well as being a vital habitat and food source for animals and insects, including our rare butterflies and bees.

 
Bee on knapweed in the garden

Much of the prep work for this one had been done last year and although I am in the happy  position of being able to change my mind and start again from scratch, I think I will stick with what I went with last time around. You may remember some of these.

Late summer berries of a Tutsan
These eventually go deep purply-black


Two of the preparation drawings from last year
A feather caught on a thorn might make the final piece


Bramble, Dog Rose, Meadow Cranesbill, Tutsan and Bittersweet will be the five species that I will use across two pages. A few dissections, studies of berries and flowers and perhaps a few insects here and there will add a bit more interest and on this one I am able to write on the front of the piece, (something that is not generally permitted) so I will have to make sure that my handwriting is up to scratch. 

The bramble and meadow cranesbill
Including grasses and ivy offers a suggestion
of the habitat 


A quick spider sketch, (you get the idea!)

With lots to finish before I can even begin to think about starting this lot, I had better get cracking!




6 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

You've got a nice head start in this assignment Jarnie, not looking forward to being out in the forest in the middle of winter doing my field studies!
Your subjects are lovely too - nice to have such a lovely choice ...
Best of luck with the course and look forward to your updates. Don't forget our Facebook SBA DLDC Group is there if you wish to join.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SBA.DLDC/

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh Vicki, you make me feel so awful not getting on Facebook.

It feels like summer here already and I have been enjoying our garden. Hope it's like this in April for the seminar. x

Debbie Nolan said...

Love your drawings. Flowers are beautiful on your blog.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Debbie, I am glad you like my work. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. :)

Barbra Joan said...

I love your style of painting.
Flowers are my favorite subject and taking them apart piece by piece is wonderful.
I've read and have Edith Holdens book, and Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.. amongst others.
In order to get rid of your word thing. Go to dashboard, publishing, then comments, scroll all the way down and you;ll see a yes button, a no button where it asks you if you want to enable word verification.. Hit the no button. Easy , peasy. these things are so hard to read especially on my mini netbook. hope this helps... I'll be back.. love your work. .. BJ

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi BJ and thanks you so much for joining me. Oh I remember the Edwardian Lady book, there was so much excitement about that over here.

Thanks for the help. x