Taking on yellow flowers can bring me out in a rash! My first attempt was Dahlia, 'party' for an assignment and although the buds and leaves came out nicely, the open yellow flowers were a real challenge. The difficulty I find with yellow flowers is getting the shading right. The wrong 'botanical grey' mix can be harsh and artificial against yellow so a slightly different approach is needed.
|Shading on the flowers used a mix of the yellow, red and blue |
used in the rest of the painting.
The best tip I ever picked up and something that I know I do go on about quite a bit, so forgive me if you have heard this one before, is mixing your shadows and greys using the reds, blues and yellows in your current project to make more harmonious mixes.
|Facing the fear! |
Making a start on the very pale but rather crinkly flowers
Still working on the leaves for Wisley Cream but I wanted to get some of the flowers done to see how the components would look together. The mix I used for the flower buds was made with Lemon Yellow, Raw Sienna and Cerulean Blue. Lots of crinkly, wrinkles on the petals of the flowers will need a brownish grey in the shadows. The addition of Perylene Maroon with the mix of Lemon Yellow, Raw Sienna and Cerulean Blue sounds very unpromising but works quite well.