Friday, 23 March 2012

The Spring Collection

Spring is my favourite time of year. With the birds singing, the bees buzzing, the flora springing and the sun shining, everything seems to be kicking off all at once. It's great!

Springtime heralds the start of the RHS show season. Cardiff and Malvern starts us off then it's the big guns of Hampton Court and Chelsea taking us into the summer. Although I hope to one day show my work myself at the RHS shows, (and perhaps win a much coveted medal), I love visiting and exploring the stands and  gardens, which are always jaw-droppingly fabulous. For those of us who long for the rural dream there is the all out glamour and shopping overload that is the Country Living Magazine Spring Fair.  On for the 21st to 25th March this fair is a true extravaganza of all things springtime.

To start off, here's a little something different on the floral theme. My humble little felt corsages are always popular with friends and family, (and cheap!) and are made with handmade felt, adorned with vintage buttons, ribbons and beads.
 
A selection of the handmade felt corsages that I make.
The 'daisies' work better as the rose here looks a bit flat!
Plus there is always the opportunity to go mad with the buttons,
ribbon and beads!

And just to get us all in the mood for spring and the jewels that are to come, here are a few of my spring collection sketches from the Squirrel Archives.


A loose wash Iris Siberica
Painted in the garden.
I love these in pots in a sunny spot


Clematis montana 'Avalanche'
A sketch for a botanical illustration
These flowers appear pure white, (and in abundance!)
 but there is a lot of yellow going on in there.


Clematis montana with dissections
First attempts at dissections.
This one grows over a wall alongside Cirrhosa 'Wisley Cream'


Iris siberica, (again)
once the dark veining was painted, I used
clean water over the top of the lot to soften
the appearance and allow the veining to 'bleed' a little.


Even tulip bulbs don't escape!
Everytime I empty a pot that I think has nothing in it,
loads of tulip bulbs come out. 

No comments: