Thursday, 12 April 2012

Heavenly Paper, (and prints)

Paper. It isn't something that one should normally get over-excited about but this week I am. Over the past couple of weeks I have been sourcing out a good art printer to make some of my work into prints. It is an absolute minefield out there, I mean, what do you go for? There's German Etching, Photo Rag, Enhanced Velvet...the list goes on, (and in some cases, on and on). It is a quandary. Luckily the folk who print are a nice lot and send out lots of lovely samples and price lists to help you through your choice. Then there's the scanning process!   

Some of the gorgeous papers care of
The Dot Foundry and
UIS Art

People seem to like my work. Family and friends, and friends of friends, and friends of friends of friends and so on seem to like my work that is, and often ask for a print. OK then, I say and then the deed is done, a purchase. A real life buyer, whoopee!!! Now that really is something to get excited about. Here are three of the current favourites from the portfolio.

A selection of garden veg

Stylish in monochrome
Rhododendron cilpinense


My latest composition of Cirrhosa 'wisley cream'

And there is a growing waiting list for this one that I still need to finish. There is enough room for one more, and rather than the oak leaf that I had first intended for the space, I think I will replace it with one of the gorgeous silver leaves from Heuchera 'Cinnebar Silver'.

The October 30/30 Leaf challenge
Not quite 30 and does it matter that I am finishing
it all off in April?

Now comes the hard part, getting a print done, or a couple of prints, or maybe ten prints. Rather than use the good old trusty that languishes only to print out complaint letters or the odd something on line, a proper art print, on proper watercolour print paper is the order of the day. So here goes with Somerset Enhanced Velvet from St. Cuthberts Mill. Somerset paper is a lovely weighty, mould made, 100% cotton paper that has a fine velvety texture and handle that is perfect for detailed botanical work. Paper heaven. I just hope my work is up to the job.



3 comments:

renatabarillipainter said...

Beautiful subjects for prints. Botanical prints have got a lot of aspetcts to deal with. As you said, one is the paper and the second one is the printing. I have already tried, but find not easy to get what I want to. Your paper looks perfect and what about the printer? . It should be interesting to know how many printers are to be done at minimum. Please take us informed on this matter.May be in future I'll deal with it, but I've the sensation that in Italy, "the folk" are not very professional on this matter thanks and ciao

Claire said...

Good idea on the prints, I use Hahnemuehle photo rag,but so much choice!! great works,love the leaves

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Renata, I will let you know how it goes.

Hi Claire. Yes, the mind boggles. Hahnemuehle do some lovely papers and it was between their photo rag and the Somerset. Decisions, decisions!!