Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Never Mind the Chocolate, Get a Heuchera, (or two)!!

Well, as it's just past the Easter weekend there is always the habit of over-indulging on chocolate for the rest of the week. This year, we went out of our way not to buy all the usual egg orientated chocolate. Instead, as I was visiting Mum and Dad this weekend and the weather was somewhat fabulous, we had a barbecue. Not the usual Easter fare I grant you, but we just couldn't miss the opportunity of a hearty feast al fresco.

Whilst whiling away the days, I took in a visit to one of the local plant nurseries near our home in Essex, and picked up a couple of stunners. I am always on the lookout for new subjects for my paintings and I wasn't disappointed. Heucheras are a fabulous plant with everything going for them, hardy, evergreen, flowers and a colour to die for. Heuchera Marmelade couldn't pass me by as I just could not resist the cerise undertones and orangey spectrum of the leaves. Heuchera Cinnebar Silver is a more subtle affair with silvery-grey leaves and red flowers. It found its way into my basket anyway.



Heuchera Cinnebar Silver
Beautiful plum/grey leaves with a silvery flock finish
Offset by tiny sprays of red-brown flowers 

A real showstopper, Heuchera Marmelade
Orange, yellow and red leaves have a bright cerise pink underside
Flowers are a pinky red. 


One of my favourite paintings of a Heuchera is by Angeline de Meester. Her portrait of Heuchera 'Hollywood' was on display at last year's SBA annual exhibition, although she has also painted a series including Heuchera 'Silver Scrolls' and Heuchera 'Creme Brulee' both of which are equally beautiful. Once the flowers are in full flow, I hope to paint one or both of my lovely purchases.


Heuchera "Hollywood"
Angeline de Meester's stunning Heuchera 'Hollywood'
One of a series of paintings


This past week has also seen the final grades for the SBA DLDC Course 7 students. As I started on course 7, it was interesting to hear how everybody got on. All seems to have gone well and there are a good many high passes and credits amongst the results. Some of the lucky ones managed a distinction, which is something of an achievement, but all I am sure are well pleased with their progress. If you were one of those celebrating finishing the course this weekend, many congratulations and a jolly well done on getting so far.


4 comments:

MILLY said...

I have enjoyed catching up with your posts. Hope your drawings are coming on well and it is interesting to see the course work.
We enjoyed such good weather in your part of the world and felt the cold when we arrived home. We were lucky to have such sunny weather for our break, made everything so enjoyable.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Milly. Good to hear from you again. So glad you had a great time 'down south'. Yes, it's course work time again so lots to catch up with.

renatabarillipainter said...

Jarnie,
Good idea for the unbuy chocholate, something new of Easter. In italy, the weather
is really cold: snow on the mountains around our lake and the central eating is on again. Heucheras are really interesting. A lot of are on our flowerbeds in the center and now they are full of buds. I'll check ,may be I can have a go. ciao

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Renata. Sounds like you are wrapping up for a second winter!! Oh do have a go at a Heuchera, they are my new favourites. :)