Friday, 25 May 2012

2B Or Not 2B

Sorry about the outrageous use of Shakespeare but I couldn't resist the title for this post. Working on my latest piece, I have decided to finish some of the elements in pencil. The assignment suggests the look of sketchbook pages and therefore a mixed media approach would seem appropriate as this is how I tend to work on sketches anyway.

After completing the dissected rose hip in pencil, I decided to continue the graphite theme onto the underlying grasses that would accompany the Meadow Cranesbill. A certain amount of habitat is needed in this one and as the cranesbill is a tall, hedge bank specimen, I thought this would look nice with some grasses.


The Meadow Cranesbill sketch with
Couch Grass in colour.

As I wanted to keep to a lighter touch with the pencil, I decided not to over use any grades darker than 2B, (hence the title). Using too much of the darker grades would overpower the delicate lilac/blue of the cranesbill, and this, after all will be the focus.  


A bit faint, but work in progress.
Adding the background grasses to a Meadow Cranesbil.
Perhaps I should have finished the painting first.

Quick meadow update! The seeds have germinated, hurrah. Bring on the colour.

3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Sketchbook Squirrel - love your drawings - they are just absolutely gorgeous. I like the graphite look - mixed media can really be captivating. Take care and God Bless You.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thank you Debbie. As always, your comments give me a little boost!

Gartenmalereien said...

You paint so adorable beautiful

like all this botanical Paintings

Happy Painting Stephanie