Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Bees and Other Bugs

Moving on with the fieldwork studies, the flowers of the Tutsan and dissections of the rose hip are finished. Now I am now tackling the stem of the Tutsan and then it's onto the leaves. The stem has a reddish tinge to it along with a pale mid-green. Of course for this my favourite Perylene Maroon will come into use.

Along with the five plant species, there is also the opportunity to add any insects that can be found within the chosen habitat. Oh goody I thought, I would really like to have a go at painting the odd insect, and so I have chosen a Buff-Tailed Bumble Bee and a little bright red Ladybird. For lots of inspiration on how to get my bee looking lifelike I have been paying lots of visits to Valerie Littlewood at Pencil and Leaf. Here you will see every kind of bee beautifully painted with the flowers they feed from.

Here are some sketchbook efforts:

What do they say about red and green? Should never be seen!
A really dodgy leaf but that's not the point!



A little fanciful perhaps, but a starting point nonetheless


The ultimate high-wire act

And just for the sheer indulgence of it...

Summer arrived today. After weeks of rain and this clematis
flower was bathed in sunshine and finally opened.



3 comments:

Claire said...

ooo love doing bees , can't wait to see it finished.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Claire, but I will need to do better than this little fellow! Looking forward to getting it done though.

sharp green pencil said...

Love that Bee!! And thanks very much for the mention. Thanks for your comment on the blog. I too have been distracted by the lovely sun!