Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Happy!

After a couple of days of much feverish and nervous brushwork, the yellow flowers are nearly finished. Phew!! This is an enormous relief as, like with many of my counterparts on the SBA course, yellow flowers are something to be feared and avoided. However, Tutsan flowers are small and the yellow will balance the pinks and purples of the other wild flowers on the page.

This week has also seen me getting to grips with my Facebook profiles and joining the forums. After all of the lovely friend invites and comments, I can certainly see why people get addicted to networking. I am also extremely grateful for the patience of those folk who have been trying to get on my pages. Without me 'doing something' to it nothing will happen. Perhaps I should get a few pointers from the 10 year old next door? Of course this sort of thing must not allow me to neglect the job in hand, getting the DLDC finished and making sure I don't mess up the rest of my work.

Today should also see the arrival of my prints from my lovely new friends at the printers. I am very excited and will probably have my nose glued to the window all morning, keeping an eye out for postie! I just hope I can keep a steady hand to start on the leaves!

French Ultramarine, Light Red and Cadmium Yellow came in handy for the sepals and married well with the flowers. Again, the sepals are quite shiny, so lots of highlight was needed and right at the base, a touch of red.  

Just the bottom bud left and
perhaps a little more shading here and there, but quite happy!



6 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

My Dear you should be happy - the flowers are truly lovely - you handle the yellows so beautifully. Thank you for sharing - I know you must be busy. Take care and God Bless

renatabarillipainter said...

What a warm yellow it is !!. Perfect choise!! I'm try to immage the composition... and I can only wait to see it. brava ciao

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Debbie and thanks again for your lovely comment. I was so nervous about starting these.

Hi Renata, I will get an overal picture of the composition so that you can get a look at it. Working on some rose hip seeds today!

Hedera said...

This is looking lovely Jarnie :)

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

i am late with the illustration and a bit daunted by the working in the field assignment. Good luck Jarnie, looking just fine already...

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh thanks you two, just as I was beginning to get really worried about painting yellow yet again.

Vicki, I hope you get over your jitters for the fieldwork assignement. I do feel that I have had a bit of a lucky headstart on this.x