Today the proof copies of the two paintings I sent to the printers have arrived. Rhododendron cilpinense is my early graphite assignment and 'Go for it Greens', as it is now being called is a mixed garden vegetable study. Mum really liked them both when I painted them, and as it was her birthday a few weeks ago, the first prints will be a present for her.
Although smaller than the eventual A3, the detail on these samples is really sharp and I am amazed that so much of the subtle colour changes have not been lost. After looking at loads of paper samples, I was torn between two, Hahnemule Photo Rag and Somerset Enhanced Velvet. Photo Rag is slightly thicker and smoother than the velvet but I loved the texture of the latter, so that's what I have gone for. The real bonus of printing is that if I change my mind, I can always get another one done.
Of course, these prints are the first of hopefully many that will go on sale.
|After approval is print time!|