Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Be Brave!

Before starting on the leaves for my next project I found myself going back over some of the colour charts and leaves I have already painted throughout the SBA Diploma course. Knowing how much my techniques have changed during the SBA course, it is strange to think how much I struggled with this particular area of botanical painting.

At the start of the course and particularly with Assignment 3, I dreaded painting leaves, let alone a whole page of them and was terrified at the prospect of tackling large expanses of green. My experience with botanical art was practically nil, so perhaps I was expecting a bit too much, and should have practised more, before embarking on such a challenging and arduous change of direction.   


Nandina domestica


Having a go.
Some of the leaves for the October leaf challenge 

Luckily, for some of us more hapless mortals there is Rosie Sanders. Oh how I so wish her new DVD, Painting a Leaf was out last year. There is so much valuable advice, as ever given in Rosie's clear, informative style, with loads of practical tips. Just to get us started here is a short clip of Rosie painting a Camellia leaf at lightning speed. She makes it look like a walk in the park. Enjoy!


   

Brambles for the fieldwork study
Looking at Rosie's work has convinced me that I need
more depth of shade and tone.
The more tonal values you can include, the greater the impact.


Same here, it's all a bit 'safe'.


3 comments:

Claire said...

Love your leaves though Jarnie ,they are delicate and beautifully painted, although a bit of extra tone is always good for impact!! ;)

Janene said...

I think your leaves look great! The leaf assignment was an eye-opener for me, as I found a page of leaves was much more attractive than a page of bare-naked flowers in the next assignment.

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Agree totally with Janene - leaves are far more acceptable on their own on a page rather than a flower with nothing surrounding it ... your leaves are really beautiful and you put a lot of detail and variation in.