Tuesday, 5 June 2012

The Queen, A Union Jack Dog and Venus?

A four day Bank Holiday! Four days, I mean, my goodness that's nearly a week for heaven's sake! Husband has been a clever sausage and used some of his leave to have the rest of this week off, so no early starts and hopefully, a barbecue or two. Bliss. Of course, this being the start of the British Summer and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee weekend the rain came, and the Thames Pageant in London with 1000 boats taking part on Sunday was a complete wash out. Typical!


Warm and dry 'Patriotic Pooch', my contribution to
Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee
A doggy doorstop resplendent in Union Jack livery,
does it get any better?



Here in Hampshire we are getting very excited about something else that is also going on this week, the transit of Venus. On the 5th of June, the planet Venus will pass in front of the Sun, similar to a solar eclipse. Taking about six hours to complete its transit, Venus will appear as a black dot tracking across the face of the Sun.  This is a rare phenomena and will not happen again until 2117. Those fabulous folk at NASA and the BBC are heading up a live feed and streaming video for those of us in less than perfect viewing conditions but I will try a Solar filter on my trusty telescope should the skies be clear enough.


Ready when you are! This telescope
is nearly as old as me but still manages
a fair performance.
A clear sky is less likely. 

Oh and before I forget, two of my paintings are now available as prints. The graphite piece, 'Rhododendron cilpinense' and my vegetable composition, now renamed 'Garden Fresh' are both for sale as limited edition prints via my new Portfolio page at Artists and Illustrators. With a couple of sales to really boost my confidence, I am now working on getting my Etsy page up and running.


1 comment:

Debbie Nolan said...

SketchBook Squirrel - I am catching up on some of the posts - hope you got to see Venus - here in this part of the U.S. do not think it was seen. Isn't it wonderful how our tools (telescope)from the past keep doing their job. In so many ways things seemed to be made so much sturdier than they are now. Take care and God Bless.