Monday, 2 July 2012

The Thick of It!

As I get further into this piece and more of the white paper disappears, I am becoming increasingly protective of it. With an important assignment there is always the nervous tension of making a mistake and having to start again. I have already been there once for this one and I don't want to have to go there again, even 'husband' is not allowed in the same room with it. Poor thing, but he is not the most graceful or careful of people, if there was just him and a Ming vase in a padded cell, I would give the vase about 5 minutes before it was in pieces!

The bramble leaves I have got to paint are quite young and small. However, they have a lovely rounded shape and gorgeous fresh green colour. Tints of red are just beginning to appear and a couple of bug-holes give character here and there. 



Julia Trickey has a great technique with leaves. This article from Artists and Illustrators magazine from a couple of months ago gave many of her tips on how to get better results on botanical painting of leaves. Her points of focus included observation, accuracy of drawing, careful layering of washes and of course, correct colour mixing. These may all sound a bit obvious, but there is no getting away from common sense and the voice of experience. 




Ooops! A bit of shine there, but you get the idea.
A stunning example of Julia's work.

Not being allowed to paint for at least a week is driving me nuts, but at least I can post my latest efforts. Should be back to work later this week but I have to take things nice and easy. Not easy for someone who cannot sit still for five minutes, but I'll try!  

More being added to my example.
The big 'hole' on the top right leaf will be a ladybird.



5 comments:

Janene said...

It looks like your bramble is coming along marvelously, despite the delays. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Janene, it's a bit of a mystery tour just now. I have no idea how this one will turn out!

Debbie Nolan said...

Hope your are getting better - your work is always so lovely - I am in awe of all the details that go into these botanicals. Good luck and hope you will soon be able to get back to painting.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Debbie, hoping to get back to it by Friday :)

Hedera said...

I can be impatient myself esp. when it comes to colour mixing. :) I think you're doing really well - your painting is looking lovely.