Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Three Down...

and two to go. The Tutsan leaves were, as predicted a great challenge. Lots of colour, lots of veining and lots of light and shade. Still, I enjoyed doing these and loved sloshing lots of paint about, managing to use a big brush to get the washes on. So much of the work I do is with tiny brushes and magnifying glasses, it makes a change to work on a bigger scale.

The leaves are quite yellow in places and have some brownish-red markings as a characteristic. making sure I didn't forget to put these on, I mixed the colour early so I would remember to use it! Trying not to overdo the veining, in order to maintain some of the lovely shine wasn't easy, it is so tempting to keep going.


At the beginning of the day, there is lots to do.
At least the early washes are on.
One side of each leaf appeared more yellow than
the other. 

Building up the detail.
Indanthrene Blue, Cadmium Yellow,
Lemon Yellow along with some red made
the main mixes here. 


At the end of a long day,
just a bit more to go.
As this is published, I will be painting.



3 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Beautiful leaves Jarnie .. this is a mammoth assignment with so many elements. Can't wait to see yours all together ... I am still painting away too ... :))

Barbra Joan said...

All of your work is just lovely.I can see all of the detail in these leaves... Beautiful art. !
BJ

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Vicki, it has been lovely to see your early progress on FB. It is indeed a mammoth piece. We can but try :)

Hi BJ, lovely to hear from you, as always. I really tried to push the boat out on this assignment. Tired now, looking forward to the finishing line :)