Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Painting the Cosmos!

Don't worry, I haven't gone all Sci-Fi. The subject in question is of course, a bright pink Cosmos named Tetra Rose. These flowers have sprung up all over the place since I planted them in the garden earlier this year. Whenever I do something in the garden, I generally forget where I have planted things and they come as a complete suprise when they grow. Anyway, I have got some gorgeous flowers coming up and couldn't resist sketching a few with the idea of incorporating them into my next piece.

This approach will not last long and I will soon knuckle down to the important business of sorting a good subject, getting the background finalised and composing something I am happy with. To be honest, this assignment was the one I was dreading the most and now it's here, I haven't changed my mind. It's a big piece, and challenging too, I just hope I balance it right.   

A beautiful clear pink flower. I love the deeper colour near
to the centre.


The buds are more maroon in colour and are gloroiously glossy.


For this sketchbook page, I included some initial ideas for a background and layout. Painting a sky or blurred background might offset the flowers quite well. Here, I allowed the very wet wash to run down the paper by tilting it. A second wash was added and allowed to run up. A small amount of sea salt was sprinkled onto the drying paint to give the appearance of other flora. This will be behind the more detailed painting. I have also included a couple of more detailed thumbnails but I have yet to decide what to do. Still, it's early days.   

My first sketchbook page
 for assignment 11.



6 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

I am amazed at all your planning. Seeing how you compose and come up with your subject is so interesting. It is kind of you to share your talent and how you go about getting things together. Thank you so much.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Debbie. The course I am on expects all of its students to keep a sketchbook as they go along. At the end, the sketchbooks are given a mark as part of your overal result. I just hope I have done enough. :)

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

You are going well already. I have been looking at endless photographs and trying to work out which style of greetings card I want to do. Composition is the tricky part! Your sketch page is looking good - love to see your process.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Vicki. Oh I agree with you there. I thought our last one was the one to dread but I think this one is harder. Composition has to be spot on.

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

Looking good! You seem to be on a mission now Jarnie... 'Jarnie - the Olympian painter'! Like the effect that the salt gave - not heard of that one before.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Jess. Mission indeed, this is the one I am really dreading as I am finding it really difficult to decide how to present the subjects :( Oh yes, the salt thing. Learnt this one when I was at art school. Lots of mad stuff went on there I can tell you. :)