Wednesday, 15 August 2012

The Vignette Variety Show

Whenever I am working on a new piece, I always seem to come up with a mini-me composition. Using tiny pieces of spare watercolour paper, I quickly plan out my ideas of colour and layout. Doing this rather than just a pencil sketch gives me a good idea of how colours, leaves, flower shape and textures will work together. I also tend to draw a small sunshine along with an arrow in the corner where the direction of light is coming from.

Sketching and planning a good composition is one of the hardest parts of the course for me. It is one thing to be able to accurately portray a subject, but creating a pleasing work of art is quite another. Every tutor will, of course have their own ideas about what makes a good piece, and some of my more 'interesting' compositions have perhaps not gone down so well with the more traditional amongst them. Sticking to your guns when a good mark is at stake is certainly brave.


A Crocosmia and Clematis combo
Purple and orange always looks good together.
For my latest assignment? 


Clematis again but this time with dissections
These would have looked better in a line
along the bottom 

A quick sketch of a window, possibly for
a window box idea.


Some ideas for a vegetable compostion

My 'interesting' vegetable compostion

For Working in the Field, a number of little sketches
were made. With five to get in it was a tight squeeze.

This was the final layout,
 with the pinks and purples in opposite corners.
Again, my tutor called this one, 'interesting'.
I am beginning to hate that word!

  


3 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Swap the word 'interesting' for unique. Who doesn't want to be unique and interesting for that matter? There are a lot of 'rules' in this style but without your own style it's just another botanical painting.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Ah, I can always rely on you for backup and support here Vicki. Since school, I have had the words unique and interesting follow me around. Can't think why :)))I'll try to make the next piecce a real goody!

Debbie Nolan said...

Jarni - I think your sketch is so lovely. It is nice to see you in your work and perhaps no teaching can really give you this gift. I wouldn't let the word interesting bother you. I am always amazed at how your art looks when you are finished. Take care and have a great week-end.