Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Sammy Snail Gets a New Friend!

Sammy Snail has been something of a hit on FB lately, but he needs a friend. So, I am pleased to announce the addition of, Lucy Ladybird! After completing one of these delightful little creatures on my last piece, I couldn't resist putting a couple of little fellows on this one. Of course, they need names, so Sammy and Lucy it is then. 

Where's Lucy?
Her little spot is reserved.
With the flowers, buds, berries, stems and insects all finished, it's on with the leaves. At this time of the year, Honeysuckle leaves are starting to lose their bright green summer colour, and are beginning to take on an Autumnal, appearance. When I took the photos, some of the leaves were already taking on reddish tones, with the distinctive 'russeting' that gives them character. It's all looking very seasonal.  

The usual cries of, 'so much to do and so little time' come to mind. So, onwards! Lots of green mixes here with the usual suspects of Ultramarine Light, Indanthrene Blue, Winsor Lemon and Perylene Maroon providing the main feature. Also in there for this one will be some Cadmium Yellow and Raw Sienna giving a good supporting role for the leaf edges and imperfections. Oh blimey! Is that the time? Must get back to it...    

Leaves underway.
I am really going to need to get extra time for this one.

6 comments:

Julie Whelan DipSBA Botanical Artist said...

This is looking so good and I can't wait to see the finished card...You always keep us hanging in suspense! x

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Julie, I am pleased you like my latest. I don't mean to keep you in suspense, it's just not finished, with loads of white paper left to fill.:)

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

Keep on going there Jarnie - almost through :) Looking really good - certainly fills the criteria well as a card. I think you'll get a good mark for this one as you have thought so much about the composition at the same time as skilfully painting in the honeysuckle. Great stuff!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh thanks Jess, that's really lovely of you. Certainly pulled out all the stops for this one but Margaret will be marking it, I think. Yikes!!

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Everything looks great so far but I don't envy you the workload ... working from all angles and so much detail.
Good luck!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh Vicki, don't tell me! What was I thinking? It has certainly been a learning curve with this one, but I do quite like it. x