Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Celebrate Your Curves

So, here it is, the finished master tracing of my mixed composition, ready for use with my lightbox. Trying to keep things relatively simple, I have used just three of the lily flowers with one stem of freesia, and a sprig of ivy with its clusters of flower buds. Looking at it again, I did make some minor changes with the ivy stem and put in another cluster of buds just peeking out from behind the lily on the right hand side.
Not one for the classic botanical compositions, I have gone for something that really caught my eye, and is generally practiced in floristry. The shape is called a 'Hogarth Curve', Lazy 'S' or Line of Beauty, and is meant to resemble the signature used by the artist on his pieces. All the maths and divisions of my page early on gave me the vertical line that the composition is built around, and the width of the overal piece that had to contain the main blooms. Here's hoping I can pull it off.
The characteristics of the Hogarth Curve are
a vertical line joining the top and bottom,
a contained central composition,
and lots of space around it. 
The tracing paper I use is actually a very smooth grey film that is used for architectural drawings. Back in my other life, (when I was about 16) this is what I did for a living, and have still got an enormous roll of this stuff tucked away. Just goes to show that what is in the loft, 'may come in handy', one day. 

7 comments:

Claire said...

Lovely Jarnie,it's gonna be great xx

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

This is really interesting Jarnie! I never heard of a Hogarth Curve before... It looks great so far, it's going to be amazing once it's all coloured in.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hope so Claire, I have never tried lilies before, so it's in at the deep end here.

No, I hadn't heard of it either Jess, until I saw Hogarth Curve arrangements in an old book. Thought to myself, well why not. ;)

Debbie Nolan said...

Jarnie - this is so informative - never new about the Hogarth curve. Your drawing looks good and I am sure you will do an excellent job with it.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

It was a new one on me too Debbie, but I thought it looked interesting. A simple approach this time, so we will see how it goes.

Janene said...

Jarnie, The flow of the stems and blossoms really draws the eye along through the composition in such a pleasing way. Well done! I can't wait to see it colored in!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Janene. As I was going for a more simple mix, I wanted to go for a really lovely composition. Kay RD quite likes it, so here goes...