Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Freesia Fantastic

The colour on these freesia flowers is really hard to describe, it's a sort of bluish-lilac which gets stronger as they open and then fades as each flower ages. Getting the colour right for each stage of growth is going to be a real pain. The buds were quite straightforward, yellowy green with a purple streak here and there, to give a suggestion of what the flower colour will be when they open. Shadows on open flowers, especially pale ones are the hardest, but most vital part to get right if I don't want flat looking flowers.
A closer look at hose buds.


Just a little more depth needed to the shadow side

Flat flowers aside, I have to get the freezer fixed, again. Honestly you would think that by buying something, 'top of the range' the blasted thing would last more than two years. Alas not, so again my day will be interrupted by waiting, explaining for the zillionth time what the problem is and then waiting for some outrageously convoluted reason why it cannot be fixed today. Oh just give me a new bloomin' freezer.
Right, I feel better now. So it's on with those freesia petals. A very pale mix of Ultramarine Violet and Permanent Rose should give me a good base to build on. Adding French Ultramarine Light to the wash adds the bluer tones and a deeper mix of Ultramarine Light and Ultramarine Violet should do the job for the darker veining in the petals. There is also a sort of neutral, yellowy colour on the palest areas of the petals and in the folds of the neck of the flower. To get this I will use a light mix of raw Sienna and Lemon Yellow, but only very sparingly.
Sketchbook trials.
Lots of lilac mixes, and a few shadow tones

For shadow mixes, I like to use mixes made from the colours already used, so here I will use a combination of my yellowy green mix from the buds and my light lilac mix. It really does work and makes the whole thing look more harmonious than if I use a generic 'botanical grey' mix. 
Well, that's all the theory anyway. So now I had better get on with it, oh yes and listen out for that doorbell too!    
  

7 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Jarni - this is really going to be lovely. Enjoy you telling how you come up with all the lovely color mixes and how you go about your work. Sorry about your freezer - hope it gets fixed soon.

Janene said...

The stem and buds look really great! Looks like you are moving right along.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Debbie, yes I love sharing colour mixes. You never know, they might be just the thing to help someone out.

Janene, great to hear from you. It's certainly a big one this, hope your toad lily is coming along.

Dianne Sutherland said...

Jarnie, I love your freesia, cant wait to see it finished. This is a fabulous blog too!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh thanks Dianne, that is really kind of you. Your Freesia painting on FB was absolutely superb. x

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

I love these buds - the colours you have captured are amazing. The bits of blue light and lemon yellows. It's going to be a great painting - I think it might well be chosen for the next SBA exhibition... and if it isn't you should definitely think about submitting it for show.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh Jess, that is very sweet of you to say so. We will have to see how things progress.