Monday, 22 October 2012

It's Monday!!

First things first. It seems I can't resist orchids, and now have three dotted about the house. This is the latest, currently snuggled in on the corner of the bath. As it's white, and one of the trickiest colours to get right in a painting, I think I will give this one a miss, for now.


No.3 and counting!


Today is the day! Yes, I must get this painting underway before the day closes, otherwise I will have missed my first target. Trying to get time management sorted has been one of the hardest parts of this course. Working with the light is tricky enough in Britain, but in autumn and winter it's even worse! Short days, low levels of sunlight and the clocks changing in October have an erratic effect on when I can get some work done using natural daylight. All that on top of everything else that has to be done during the working day.
Remembering back to a post I wrote last year about natural and artificial light sources, I came to the conclusion that the most sensible way to go is to use a good mix of both. Natural daylight produces the best environment for colour mixing, and casts the most natural shadows. Artificial lighting can create harsh shadows and can be too bright to get colours accurate. A mix of both gives good light whilst maintaining natural shadows and colours.

So, with daylight lamps in full effect and the composition all finished, it's onto the lightbox and then on with the painting. Plus, you're getting a sneak peek at the composition too.


A dull day again, but at least the lamps are nice and bright.
The almost finished composition.
Just a little more foliage to soften the look and give shape.

3 comments:

Janene said...

It looks like you are making good progress, at least I hope so since I think we are at about the same stage! Your composition looks beautiful from here and will result in a lovely painting I am sure.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Well at least I made my first target and started some painting. So much to do Janene, I hope we can both make it. :)

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Jarnie - looks like you are making a good start. Our clocks will not change until the first week in November but with working I have to use artificial light to paint because in the mornings it is dark and until I can get into my studio in evening it is dark too. Have a great day and enjoy what daylight you can.