Thursday, 18 October 2012

The Calm Before the Storm

Well, after all that I have finally got the composition sorted. What an ordeal that was! The last couple of weeks has seen much toing and froing to various establishments in an attempt to get something lovely in bloom. It has been a challenge, but that is the whole point of these later assignments so thought and care is all important. A recent SBA gradutate recalled how this particular assignment was an absolute stinker and even now feels the finished painting is not one of her favourites.  
 
As some of you will remember, I did plan to use a lemon yellow orchid, which even now is still blooming and looking stunning. Alas though, the leaves on a Phalaenopisis orchid are not easy to get in a mix of flowers but, I fancy would look lovely on their own with just one flower stalk. Hmmm, something for the future. The lilac tones and delicate leaves of freesia 'Blue Moon' are much friendlier to the composition and sit more comfortably with the brighter pinks of the oriental lilies. As my fellow SBA student friend Janene and myself discussed, two divas on one page might cause a fight.    
 
Just the final flourish to sort out now. foliage always looks lovely and finishes a piece off really nicely. Not wanting to overcrowd the big shapes of the lilies, I am thinking of going for something pretty simple like an ivy. The idea is to mirror the arching stem of the freesia, and offset the blowsy 'pinkness' of the lilies.
  
 
 
Perhaps a Snowberry?...


 
...or good old Ivy?...



...or something different, like viburnam tinus
with their blackurrant-blue berries?


Now onto the hard part, the painting.


Oh, and just in case you were wondering what I intend to do with that darn orchid. Well, here is my little page of possibilities, Including an accurate drawing of the orchid and its bits and pieces, a painted leaf with colour matches, a quick thumbnail of a composition and a tracing of the flower I will use, eventually.


     
 
 
  

5 comments:

Claire said...

good luck with it all Jarnie xx

Debbie Nolan said...

This really looks lovely - I like your design - so much thinking and planning really goes into something like this. Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a great day.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Claire. Thanks for the support on this one, you've been here before so know how I feel right now.x

Hi Debbie. Yes, it's The 5 Ps everytime on these pieces. Phew!! There's a lot of it. x

Janene said...

Good idea to store all of the information on the orchid for later use. It looks like it will be a great piece...someday! The berries look really intriguing too. I wanted to use berries too but they didn't seem to fit with the plants I chose.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

yes, although i don't think i will be using the orchid for any of the Portfolio pieces.

In the end I didn't go for berries as they didn't fit the composition. I have used clusters of ivy buds though.