Monday, 12 November 2012

Avoiding Disasters, (and buff envelopes)

Don't know what it is about this piece, but whenever I settle down to do some work on it, I smile. Maybe it has got something to do with the outrageously lurid pink that is going onto the paper in such copious amounts, or perhaps it's because I haven't had any major disasters, yet! Whatever it is, I hope it lasts as the deadline looms and panic sets in.
Permanent Rose is one of those colours that I haven't had much chance to use until now. Lots of pink is needed but there are also some magenta and purple tones too. Quinacridone Magenta is a lovely colour, so rich and immediately staining, (care here!), Permanent Rose and even my favourite Pereylene Maroon are all in the mixes, making a really bright and jolly palette. There's also a sort of orangey/sepia, 'buff-envelope' sort of colour going on too, which I have made using my rosy pink mix and some yellow.


Coming along and looking exotic.
Lots of glazing and layers of colour help to get that pink just right.
As the petals of the flowers are so big, there has been a certain amount of sloshing about with the early washes. Getting the colour on quickly and in quite strong washes has been an alarming practice I recently intoduced to the armoury, and am actually getting the hang of. It seems to work best here using clean water glazes before laying on the strong colour, and as the colour seeps and settles, it creates lots of texture and light and dark pools. Using a 'just damp' brush to help things along does a lot of the work for you. Hurrah! I am all for that!

7 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

It's looking beautiful Jarnie.
You are using some of my favourite colours ...
I am sure your tutor will love it as much as you are enjoying it.

Janene said...

It's looking beautiful, Jarnie! I love that trick of the clean water wash first to help the color washes go on more smoothly. It is working well for you here.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Vicki, so good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you. Glad you are liking the pink.x

Hi Janene, the water glazing thing is a Billy Showell classic technique. x

renatabarillipainter said...

Brava!! I like your colours.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Renata, great to hear from you. Glad you like it.

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

This is looking fab. Only just found your updates - I think they must have got either buried in a plethora of blog posts (I am following way too many blogs right now), or they just didn't show in my feed - so apologies for not commenting sooner! It's great to hear of your courage in using such staining colours. I find them a nightmare - the pink stainers. You just have to be so fast and daring and bold and be very clever with the water. It's looking amazing so far Jarnie. Well done!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Me too Jess, so many great people i try to keep up with. The pink is indeed a bit of a challenge.