Don't know what it is about this piece, but whenever I settle down to do some work on it, I smile. Maybe it has got something to do with the outrageously lurid pink that is going onto the paper in such copious amounts, or perhaps it's because I haven't had any major disasters, yet! Whatever it is, I hope it lasts as the deadline looms and panic sets in.
Permanent Rose is one of those colours that I haven't had much chance to use until now. Lots of pink is needed but there are also some magenta and purple tones too. Quinacridone Magenta is a lovely colour, so rich and immediately staining, (care here!), Permanent Rose and even my favourite Pereylene Maroon are all in the mixes, making a really bright and jolly palette. There's also a sort of orangey/sepia, 'buff-envelope' sort of colour going on too, which I have made using my rosy pink mix and some yellow.
|Coming along and looking exotic.|
Lots of glazing and layers of colour help to get that pink just right.
As the petals of the flowers are so big, there has been a certain amount of sloshing about with the early washes. Getting the colour on quickly and in quite strong washes has been an alarming practice I recently intoduced to the armoury, and am actually getting the hang of. It seems to work best here using clean water glazes before laying on the strong colour, and as the colour seeps and settles, it creates lots of texture and light and dark pools. Using a 'just damp' brush to help things along does a lot of the work for you. Hurrah! I am all for that!