Sunday, 23 December 2012

Mmmm, It's Christmas

Well now, the vegetable study is finished, hooray!! I know, I know, I said I wouldn't show you. But, hey there you go.

Moving onto the next two, I have been out and about on my annual foray into the shops on the hunt for foliage and flowers for the Christmas table and to make the house feel a little more festive. 
I can't be secretive, it's not in my nature.
I know I said I wouldn't but here it is.
Here's the almost finished veg, the roots were completed after this pic.
As I was sitting at the table scoffing another mince pie whilst admiring the large bundle of mistletoe, I was suddenly struck by how many things at Christmas time begin with M. Mince pies, mistletoe and mulled wine of course. Then we have mayhem, merriment and manic last minute buying. Music is important to make the day go with a swing so we will probably have Mum's favourite, Mahalia Jackson, and a bit of Boney M (the wrong way round but who's counting?) 
Mistletoe is a strange plant. Filled with folklore and mysticism, this parasitic plant grows on native trees such as Poplar and apple and is traditionally hung in houses at Christmas. The bit I like is that you get to have a kiss under it, so plenty will be hung about the place I can tell you.. More importantly, I am seriously considering using mistletoe in a festive arrangement with holly berries with either Camellia or Hellebore niger. Lots of gorgeous reds, greens and fresh whites from the mistletoe berries and hellebore. The other bonus is that we have an old Poplar tree in the garden so I will have a go at growing the stuff.
Last but not least, I would like to say a big thank you to all of you who have taken a peek at 'The Squirrel Archives' this year. Without your support and comments this Blog would fizzle out like a damp squib and more importantly, I have really enjoyed your company.
Wishing You All A Very Merry Christmas   

4 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Well done Jarnie on completing number one. I am getting a little nervous as my own deadline has passed and I have not completed the artwork - it was the illustration and probably a bit too ambitious as it is fairly complex and I didn't want to rush it.
Am looking forward to the fruit study once finished this one. Not at all looking forward to another mixed floral ugh.
Anyway - a very happy Christmas to you and your family ... have enjoyed your blog and keeping up to date with happenings in your world.
Best wishes from Western Australia xxx

Claire said...

A wonderful painting, well done for getting it finished before xmas. Have a lovely time Jarnie xxx

Jessica said...

Merry Christmas! :)

http://sketchesofwords.blogspot.com/

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Vicki. Oh I know how you must be feeling, I only just met my deadline and am going to tackle the mixed next. Just want to get that one out of the way. Happy New Year to you all in Western Australia.

Hi Claire, oh i was really pleased to get it done and dusted. Hope you had a good Christmas. Happy new year. x

Hello Jessica, and many thanks for dropping by. Happy New Year