Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Stop Giving the Game Away!

'Husband' has put his manly foot down and told me to stop revealing too much of my portfolio pieces. This is a tough ask for me as I love to share what I am up to, (good or bad) and offer any little handy tip I pick up along the way. However, as 'Husband' pointed out, you never know who may be tuning in and that might very well include, Your Assessor! This issue was brought up recently by a couple of other students on Facebook. It's a good point. If you 'reveal' your finished piece online before posting to your tutor for marking, is this unfair, and might it cloud an opinion? Hmmm, it's a point to ponder.
Generally, I have been pretty good, only posting my work online after my tutor has received it or has at least seen some of it, (I do sometimes email an image of work in progress to a tutor just for a little insight). But, maybe one or two slip through the net, sheer excitement of completing a major challenge gets the better of me I'm afraid. So far so good though, I haven't been told off yet.  
Not wanting to tempt fate, you'll forgive me for not posting my finished veggies until 'The Three Piece Suite' is finished and has safely arrived at it's final destination. Here's a last tantalising glimpse. Look out for it again in Feb when all three are finished. I will keep you posted...


The finished leek leaves.

A final watery glaze of  cerulean mixed with Lemon Yellow and a touch of Perylene brightens the greyish leaves
where they meet the root.

A bluer shade where the leaves are getting older and tougher varies the temperature against the brighter, fresher tones. 


     

3 comments:

renatabarillipainter said...

I don't think that tutors go to see on a blog what is going on for an assignment. But, as a matter of fact, it can happen; no one can say! So it is a good idea to delete posts on a matter. One suggestion can be that you make the posts of the story, as you shall have done in the past, and instead of pubblishing you leave it on the archive and then, at right time, put in on the blog. By this way, you can record your feeling and don't forgive emotion. Isnt'a good idea? I whish you Buon Natale and auguri Buon Anno. ciao

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I for one don't agree with this concealment thing. I agree with Renata in that I don't think the teachers do log on and look at our blogs and FB. Secondly - it is a free country. Thirdly, the whole idea about the course is to learn - through yourself and through others and your teachers - seeing the different techniques and the way people paint online visually is part of the learning process. If you are the competitive type (which I don't think you are as such Jarnie) then one would be better off not posting anything at all... But really - I think the teacher marks the finished product in it's tangible form alongside the comments sheet. I can't see how watching the way you paint online could influence the mark - you are either good at painting or not. So many people do things differently the teachers have to be willing to accept that all students will approach subjects differently and be open to different results. Well that is my view anyway! Merry Christmas - boom boom!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Renata, I love reading your comments and found your thoughts really constructive. I agree that there is no point in always thinking that your tutor is going to constantly keep up with your pages and quite honestly I am not too bothered if they do! So you can expect to see more of the same. Happy Christmas

Hi Jess, you cheeky girl, I always love reading your comments and found this one really interesting. As you are a seasoned blogger and SBA student yourself, I was interested to see your progress, ups and downs and thoughts on all of your assignments. I agree totally that the whole thing is a learning curve and others may benefit from our work and comments. I was thinking recently about what I have done on blogger so far, (and I haven't exactly held back!)I might as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb, go the whole hog etc and post the finished thing anyway! Who cares who sees it! Hooray for liberation. Happy Christmas. xx