Saturday, 5 January 2013

All Change

First I was going to attempt the illustration, then it was going to be the mixed floral but now I have gone back to my original idea. Although I had selected some really pretty seasonal varieties, I was not happy with how the flowers and foliage were working together. Each variety would have made a lovely study on their own, together was a bit of a mixed bag. So, I will now give the mixed a bit of breathing space to allow some other spring flowers to get going.
 
A couple of weeks before Christmas, I bought some Hellebore plants. Hellebores are just coming into their own and in the garden we have orientalis and foetidus making themselves comfortable in the wilderness beneath the Poplar tree. The plants I bought are Helleborus niger with their beautiful white flowers that are flushed with fresh spring green tones. I particularly like the stems on these plants as they are stained like red wine and zing against the pure white and greens of the leaves.  
 
Hellebores are a bit of an old botanical 'chestnut' and are very popular as subjects for us students, but I like their simplicity and there are plenty of ideas for dissections.
 
Hellebore flowers fade to a zesty green whilst the seeds develop
Young leaves have a fresher colour
I used Freesia flowers in my last mixed and loved their simplicty

From the sketchbook




2 comments:

Julie Whelan DipSBA Botanical Artist said...

Lovely and very interesting blog post :) Can't wait to see your diploma pieces! How are they going? Wishing you all the best of luck with the final journey of your course :)xox

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Aww, thank you so much Julie. Progress is being made with 2 of 3 but it's that deadline!! Fingers crossed that all will be well. x