Thursday, 14 March 2013

Something Old, Something New, (and who brought that sword?)

So, new works are now in the pipeline and although there will be plenty to do between now and the SBA show next year, (oh yes, the planning has to be done early in this game) it always helps to keep going in the meantime. Thinking on the 'Working in the Field' project, I really liked the bramble and cranesbill compositions and at the time thought these two might look quite nice on their own as card compositions.

So, with this in mind I am thinking of going back to this one and using the original drawings and lots of photos to complete two separate studies.  Another project that might get a second glance is the '30 Leaves in 30 Days' project (must finish that even if it is March!), I am also planning the chalk meadow project, and I must get some more pieces to the printer.

Another bramble might look nice on a square card.

With just the cranesbill and pencil grass, this piece
might suit a long, thin card design.
Food for thought!
 
Oh, remember this one?
Perhaps I could go back and get the
rest of those leaves finished. 
 
The snow this week hasn't helped the garden and many of my near blooming spring bulbs have got the shivers and given up already. It really doesn't bode well for later this year. Still, there is always something to paint if you're up for a search. The hedgerows are a good start with plenty of rose hips and berries still clinging on and those that haven't been scoffed by the blackbirds are looking quite good, despite the cold snap. For my recent mixed study, I included plenty of hedge favourites along with some big fat camellia buds, and although it was a nice piece to do, I would like to  try something new. 

I really enjoyed having a go at some delicate snowdrops.
Again, the snowdrops are out, so perhaps a finished study
is in order.
 
The supermarket and local florist are also happy hunting grounds, as they can get in plenty of greenhouse grown beauties. Ranunculus, hyacinth, tulips, roses and all manner of blooms were out in force for Mother's Day last Sunday and although I am not a mother myself, the bouquets did look tempting. Far too expensive though, especially as I would just take out the bits I wanted and shove them in the fridge! Hmm, lots of ideas still buzzing about, but really I just want to get on with something without thinking about it too much. That can all come later.


P.S. For those of you wondering, the Sword of Damocles has yet to make its judgement on my diploma results. Of course, unlike the classical Greek tale, imminent and ever-present peril is not quite on the agenda here, but I can certainly relate to the more general idea of the saying being used to denote the sense of foreboding, engendered by a precarious situation, especially one in which the onset of tragedy or failure is restrained only by a delicate trigger or chance. Ah, the fickle finger of fate.

 

2 comments:

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

Lovely Snowdrops - you have captured the greens so well and their arching stems. Yes this weather is a complete palarva for the garden. My bulbs are really feeling the strain :( Still got my fingers crossed for you and the results, and when they aren't crossed my legs are!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Jess, the snowdrops are in the sketchbook with the SBA so let's see what they think! Yes, the wait is pretty dreadful, but you'll know all about that!xx