Tuesday, 19 March 2013

The Wait Continues, but Spring is Here!

This week sees the arrival of the spring equinox, when the tilt of the earth is inclined neither towards or away from the Sun. This means that the centre of the Sun is on the same plane as the equator. From then on Summer begins to make more of an impact on the northern hemisphere as we get more of the Sun's warming influence and the days are still getting longer. Hooray!

Even the bergenias, that have been flowering for a while
have perked up since the snow melted
 and a couple of sunny days arrived
Did you know that these are also known as elephant's ears,
 due to the shape of their leaves!

This week, another of my early assignment pieces caught my eye. The tonal pencil study of the dwarf Rhododendron cilpinense was completed at about this time of year and again the shrub in our garden is developing some lovely buds. This rhododendron has smaller, simpler flowers of pale pink and small, deep green leaves that are less shiny than some of the larger, showier varieties. The architectural habit of growth always appeals to me and I have been considering completing a colour study before the flowers come and go.

The pink of these pretty little flowers is just peeking through

There will be an abundance of blooms this year


Elsewhere, the nerves are still there as we still await the results of two years hard graft. Waiting, as patiently as I possibly can, I can't help but remember how close I was to giving up on the course altogether. Feeling very low, with little confidence in my work and having to defer a year, due to ill health, I came very close to throwing in the towel, I even drafted a letter to the course director. Even now, with the work all done there are those doubts but how glad am I that I had the good sense to tear up that letter and carry on. This sums it up pretty well I think.


'Many of life's failures are people
who did not realise how close they were to success
when they gave up.'
 
Thomas A. Edison
 
 
 
Success can be measured in many ways.
Such as getting these little treasures
to keep on going.
The first time I have been lucky with orchids.
 

 
 
 

3 comments:

Claire said...

Its a nerve racking wait ,I remember but it won't be long now.Hopefully meet you next month in London?
xx

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

That's the real achievement - just to finish - to push through the difficult and challenging times and do the work.
It's something to be very proud of.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Yes, but not long now Claire. Really looking forward to the exhibition in April, hope to see you there too. x

Couldn't agree with you more there Vicki. Completion was half the battle for me, so I am chuffed to bits to have got there. x