Monday, 17 June 2013

Callas and Claregalway

Another Monday, and another disappointingly gloomy start to a June day. Still, best foot forward and make the most of it. The Calla Lily is almost there now, perhaps just a few touches here and there on the leaf, but all in all, I am quite happy with my first piece since the SBA course.


Calla Lilies

And the full picture
 
So, it's onto the alphabet project. Starting with those brambles, I have some Fabriano Artistico to work on with the letter already drawn in place. As usual, I have completed the initial prep by tracing the letter onto film, ready to play around with the composition of the bramble. At this time of year, the flowers are just getting going, and I will include some of the velvety green buds along with open blooms. As I will have a full growing season to complete this piece, I may leave some space to include some berries for a bit of punch, but we will see how we go on that.
 
Elsewhere, I am looking forward to picking up my newly framed artworks. Nothing overly fancy here, no float mounting or deckle edges, just a nice neutral frame and a very pale mount. Although I will not be sending any of the prints to the Claregalway Expo this year, I will have the new ones available on Open House Art.

 

5 comments:

Carol Hopper said...

Lovely work. I have also taken the SBA course back in 2004.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Carol. It's hard to believe how long the course has been going and how many of us have been through it now.

Tipulida said...

Wonderfull Callas! I tried them for one of the assignments, but I think I was to heavy on the colours. Yours are just right!

Laura Ashton said...

This is a lovely painting Jarnie. It must have been hard to blend the green and the violet without creating muddy colours. They look fabulous and truly glow with light.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Awww, thanks you two, so glad you like it. I thought I may have gone a bit OTT with the detail on the flowers, but all in all, not bad.