Monday, 8 July 2013

Another Thorny Issue

There is always so much to do, and so little time to do it. This seems to be true of late as I have had so many ideas that I want to get going with, but deciding on which to do first means I actually end up doing very little. Frustrating. I am my own worst enemy, giving myself a hard time about not doing enough painting, not moving quickly enough on opportunities and not having the courage of my convictions or faith in my work. Being an artist can be difficult and it would be the easy road to give up the dream and go back to the day job. But, as my parents will tell you, I have never taken the easy road.

 
 
Probably looking at things far too deeply there, but that's what you do when you have far too much time on your hands. Time to get the sketchbook out and just draw, draw, draw. Get those pictures out there and just get on with it. This clematis looks awfully tempting to have a go at, but there is a little something to get out of the way first.
 
Like those pesky brambles. Yes, I have been 'got' many a time this week and am covered in little prickle marks. They really hurt you know. Still, I find it better working from a live specimen, well lit in the studio rather than photographs. You really get a sense of the scale of veining and subtle changes of colour that often get missed through a lens. So, out in the garden we go, to do battle with those brambles. Plus, it does get rid of them.


Buds still around, and leaves are looking good.

July, and the fruits are already forming,
 but there are still plenty of flowers  
 
 
Time for a lovely, non prickly lily or something. Mind you, the pollen gets everywhere. Hmmm.



This 'Sweet Haze' rose always performs well,
but it's another thorny subject

As is this one, but these roses are enormous

Ah, strawberries perhaps.
As long as I don't eat them all first.

Oh, nearly forgot, it was our wedding anniversary on Saturday. As a present my ever-resourceful Dad made this rather handsome planter for our garden. The broken bricks will make a layer in the open base, followed by compost, then the plants.

Made of old pallets, lined with plastic and preserved with a coating
of old engine oil, this raised bed/planter will be home for
all number of fruits and veg.
Thanks Dad.  
 
 

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow I can't believe I am not the only one that feels that way. You described me and what I was thinking last night. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Carol Hopper said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have been painting a watercolour for a friend but at the same time looking at all the other plants I could be painting. One project at a time is probably the best way. All the best Carol

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

It is so often the way Sandra. Glad to have been of service. :)

Hi Carol, yes that clematis keeps saying, 'paint me!!' x

Claire said...

Same here Jarnie, so much to do and this weather is too nice to be indoors painting!! Argh xxx

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Yes indeed, would much rather be outside tackling the garden.