Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Every Little Bit Helps

Pinching the tag line of some company, who's name escapes me, work has now resumed, but only a little bit. Having to go gently with myself, I can now at least sit at my desk for short periods of time and get a bit more done on those bramble leaves. Having really enjoyed putting this composition together, I really didn't want to have to throw in the towel and give up on it, and although I have a lot to do over the next few months, I want to give everything a really good shot.

The light and mid tone colours work quite well,
but I need to include greater depth with the darker shadow tones.
Once I have got a good, uniform feel to the leaves, the darkest
shades will be introduced 
As time is now something of an issue, I have decided not to include any blackberry fruits on the piece, a shame as I would have liked a sprig or two. Instead, the flowers and buds will keep the piece in perpetual springtime, with the fresh greens of new leaves capturing that early abundance of vigorous growth. Also, I am desperate to start my new piece for the SBA exhibition and now have a clear idea of what I want to achieve with it.
Summer's end also brings to a close a really magnificent botanical exhibition season. A particular highlight for any enthusiast has been the Rory McEwen: Colours of Reality exhibition at Kew which closes this Sunday (22nd Sept). To revisit the delicious talent of this exceptional artist, here's a short video. You can also check out my Recommended Reading Page for details on the accompanying book.    


2 comments:

J R Shepherd said...

Love this leaf Jarnie - you are so good at doing all the veins. Nice to have a close up shot so you can see your washes. Beautiful. Looking forward to your SBA piece!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh thanks Jess. I really feel like I have really covered brambles and can't wait to start something completely different.