Monday, 23 September 2013

Greetings from the Bramble Patch

Ah, the first set of bramble leaves are so nearly finished. Only three more to go. After this one is finished I think I will leave brambles alone for a good long while as I feel like I have been doing nothing else since last summer. Those serrated edges have really been an eye strainer so I am looking forward to working on something completely different.
 
That said, there is something quietly satisfying about working your way around the edge of a leaf, with the tiniest of brushes, putting in the final touches to all those little prickles. Like putting mascara on, (sorry lads) without it, the picture just wouldn't look right. Maybe I'm waxing lyrical a bit there with that, but you know what I mean, it's often those last little bits that really lift a painting and give it character.

Adding the final touches to the prickles.
Still a way to go, and more leaves.





Earlier stages building up the mid-tones
 
 
Elsewhere, I am looking into getting some of my latest pieces made into greeting cards. I always see gorgeous looking, glossy cards at fairs and often think, I want some of those. So, with the website nearly there now, I would really like to offer cards of my own. Recommendations for printers to do this always come forward from fellow artists on Facebook, so there is plenty of choice out there.
 
Art2Card, (card prices from 54p) in Dorset offer all sorts of printed media including business cards and a full stationary range, although you do need to provide a print ready file. Redcliffe Imaging, (card prices from 0.43p) are members of the Fine Art Trade Guild and as well as offering Giclee printing, do postcards and cards with the special offer of a free scan with your order.  Another name thrown our way is The Imaging Centre, (card prices from 0.13p) in Tunbridge Wells. If you want cards, this lot really do the whole shebang. So, these are just a few, there are loads more out there, if a mate can put a good name forward, go for it.
 

2 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Jarni - your bramble leaves are beautiful. Your work would be gorgeous on cards...hope you will show them once you are up and running.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Debbie, good to hear from you. Yes, hoping to get some cards printed soon and they will be on the website when it goes live. :)