Friday, 20 September 2013

Under Starters Orders

Well, I am getting really excited. The new website, which in the end, I rolled up my sleeves and designed and built myself, is nearly ready to go. Hurrah! Signing up for one of those 'freebie' sites proved to be less of a freebie than first suggested, but you do get a bit more bang for your buck if you are prepared to pay just a small monthly subscription. Seemed like a good enough deal so I went for it.
There are loads of web building sites that can give you a shop window or gallery to the world and get struggling artists their first rung on the ladder. Weebly, and Wix both seem to do well on voting polls for top web building sites and are a popular choice, but others including Moonfruit and new, sophisticated kid on the block Squarespace are also worth a look, especially if you want a stylish look and would like to include e.commerce at some point.
These free web building sites all work on the same basis, you sign up, pick a template, link a web address and away you go. You don't need to be a computer programmer but you do need to know how to do a few basics like upload photos, use drag and drop menus and create links between the pages to get it all to work together. It can be a bit of a learning curve, but most sites have a good help centre to get you over the hurdles. So, instead of paying a web designer a small fortune, you can be up and running in a couple of days for a fraction of the cost.



Here's a sneaky peak at a possible Homepage for sketchbooksquirrel.com
Still mucking about with the design details
but you get the idea.
So, on my little space in the .com family you will find loads of pics of my work plus links to Facebook, LinkedIn and of course, here at the blog as well as a sign up page for a spanking new newsletter. With the new workshops being launched and home tuition also being offered, there is loads more info to browse and I am hoping that the website will be a lovely second home for Sketchbook Squirrel, a bit like a spacious country retreat with lots of room, big comfy sofas and large cups of tea. It really does feel like Sketchbook Squirrel has been officially launched to the world now, and I have a business. I'll still be here of course but I hope to see you there.  
      

3 comments:

J R Shepherd said...

Congratulations on the new site - looks amazing and I am really impressed that you did it all yourself. Takes some nerve, patience and perseverance no doubt!

Claire said...

Glad it's all coming together Jarnie, I built my website too many years ago, (it could probably do with being redone but I don't think it gets looked at much!)
I hope you're feeling better now too xxx

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Jess, after seeing everyone's efforts it had to be done. Your site is lovely and the logo is adorable.

Oh Claire, I've been on your site, so much of your lovely work. I guess you have to have as much online presence as poss really. We'll see how it goes.