Friday, 22 November 2013

The 'Beastly Bramble' is Slain

Ah yes, well, a rather whimscal title and perhaps I am still thinking about the recent folklore post, with it's tales of witchcraft and demons. Needless to say, the 'Beastly Bramble' is all finished and packed up ready to go. That last sprig of fruits really was a tight squeak to get done in time, but I am so happy that I did paint them, as I think it does complete the picture.


The leaf for the sprig was made a little more ‘rusty’ and autumnal in appearance, to reflect the change of season when the berries appear. The mixes had a bit more of the Perylene Maroon in them to give that aged look, with the greens being a bit deeper. And again, the serrations were the trickiest part.

With the leaves almost done, it was onto the berries. These would be a different matter altogether, with their jewel-bright sheen and deepest purple-black colour, blackberries are like little plastic baubles. Although I was a bit disappointed not to keep the purest white, shiny spot, I was happy with the overall appearance of the berries, that had a rather old-fashioned, book illustration look about them.

A more illustrative feel to the berries looks quite nice 


The first wash was a mix of Cadmium Red Deep with a touch of Perylene Maroon and Indanthrene Blue, laid in quite a watery wash. This would give a lovely, warm background that would continue to show through the next layers. using a stronger mix of the same colour, I continued to build up the colour and tone. With the light coming from the left, I had to make sure that all the berries maintained this and so I kept the left side quite light. The right side, in contrast would have the deepest shadow and tone, so here I mixed a strong purple-black using the deep red mix of Cadmium Red Deep, Perylene Maroon and Indanthrene Blue, adding more blue and using plenty of colour to get the best tonal value.
 
My earlier attempt was far too heavy and didn't have as much depth           





  





    
 

4 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Jarni - these berries look good enough to eat - your work is so lovely.

Janene said...

I hope you can post the whole painting sometime because the pieces are so tantalizing! Congrats on finishing on time, but then we are used to deadlines, right?

shevaun said...

How did I miss this? I could pick your blackberries! :)

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks for your comments gals, this one was a real epic. Must keep practising my berries.