Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Dr. Squirrel Prescribes

Well, my surgery is now open and for all my delightful patients Dr. Squirrel prescribes, happiness. Laughter, they say is the best medicine and over the next couple of weeks I hope to be taking plenty of that particular tincture. It would appear that my last post on confidence really hit a familiar nerve with many of my fellow artists and friends, and I have been quite overwhelmed by the support and positive feedback I have received on being so open. It is not in my nature to hold back on emotion (I still well up when the gunshot rings out in Bambi), and having been at the mercy of the health service for the past six years, I can definitely say that I have been sacrificed on the alter of dignity many times. You have to laugh.    

So, in the guise of the doctor of cheer and happiness, it is time to inject our day with a thumping good dose of fun. After cleaning out the loo this morning and having spent over an hour at the gym yesterday, I am feeling rather smug and virtuous. The splendour continues this week with a meeting about my workshops, a good catch up with a dear friend, and the arrival of my new desk. A lovely little vintage affair, but more on that when it arrives, (the desk that is, not the dear friend). Can't wait. Plus, there's ice cream in the freezer, so what's not to get happy about?

Well, I've been having fun in the studio too, with sketchy studies of a chicken, whimsical tunes and the old-school classic of leaf rubbing. Came out rather well too.

A leaf rubbing really does pick out the fine detail

Now onto the next sketchbook in the exchange. Just now, I am playing about with leaves and skeletons, (see above effort). As so much of the garden has almost overnight, turned green, I thought it might be nice to revisit the idea of a page of leaves. Although the April weather is certainly living up to expectations. Now that takes us back to Bambi and do you remember that little song about April showers.

The inclement weather of the season.
Rain clouds and a little ditty.

This one has been stuck in my head for weeks,
and is busting to come out.
So, here it is.

And, as I know the recipient keeps chicken,
a sketchy little hen.

    



  

4 comments:

Katherine Tyrrell said...

I'd forgotten all about leaf rubbing!

Erica cinerea said...

a lovely prescription, Dr S. :-)

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

I once went to Westminster Abbey and did some rubbings there. it's amazing how much detail is picked up.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Take the medicine for a fortnight and come to see me again Erica!