Thursday, 22 May 2014

Rest and Revival

As you can imagine, this week has been a rather slow affair, with lots of rest, cups of tea and very little else. However, there comes a point when cabin fever sets in and it all becomes a bit too much. Indeed, I do feel that I am about to reach that horizon point, but just now there's not an awful lot I can do about it. I'm sending out for reinforcements.

Luckily, respite from my current diet of daytime TV comes this weekend in the form of my parents coming for a visit. Not just to see how their little girl is doing but more to do with wanting to get more done on the studio. Do you know, I think they actually enjoy it, and can't wait to get cracking again. This time, I am going to get nice painted walls and woodwork, and it might be that the back door will need replacing. Of course, my desk will be unceremoniously shifted into position, eventually taking pride of place under a window, facing the garden. The shed revival was recently described as a 'long-running saga'. Well, you're not wrong there Katherine.


Currently taking up residence in the hall. My new desk
This one is made of oak and cost less than the ones you get
in that rather famous furniture store from Sweden.

This was delivered while I was in hospital, so was a lovely welcome home.

Two handy leaves at the side, one with the original Bakelite pen tray.
A little worn here and there, but aren't we all.

Just now, I have been taking a break from painting, but I am delighted that my workshops have been so successful that I have been asked to do some more at The Spring for the Autumn season. So, I have been coming up with lots of new ideas, covering a range of techniques and subjects for late summer and into the winter. Should be good fun and I am really looking forward to it. Elsewhere, the sketchbook exchange is going from strength to strength and I have just completed a short article about our Nature Trail for publication in the next Society of Floral Painters (of which I am an Associate member) newsletter. Apart from the blog, this will be the first written piece I have had published for many years, so I am a little daunted.        

Oh, and it's always reviving to have something new in the paintbox so this week I treated myself to some Daniel Smith watercolours. Just a couple to give them a go, but I have heard so many good things about them that it had to be done. Some of my friends have noted the lovely qualities of Buff Titanium and Quinacridone Gold, so these were a must. The Cerulean also looked good and as I am nearly out, I got that one too. Over the next weeks, we will see how they compare with my trusty collection.


New Daniel Smith paints making themselves at home
in the box of yellows.  
  



3 comments:

shevaun said...

Glad you are recovering well. That desk is fantastic! How wonderful to find that waiting when you returned home!

Janene said...

It sounds like you are making good use of your recuperation time with thinking and planning. Congratulations on the upcoming article and classes--exciting! And the studio is looking very nice indeed! I hope you feel better soon.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Yes, I knew it was coming but it was still an exciting 'reveal'. Thanks Shevaun :) xx

Hi Janene. Yes, there's always lots going on and the cogs of the brain are whirring away with lots of new ideas. :)