Friday, 16 May 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons...

...make lemonade.




The Optimist
"Life handed him a lemon,
As Life sometimes will do.

His friends looked on in pity,

Assuming he was through.

They came upon him later,
Reclining in the shade
In calm contentment, drinking
A glass of lemonade"
                                                               (The Rotarian, 1940)


So the saying goes. With this little post we really have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. After a joyous week of fun and frolics with family and friends aplenty, we now go back to reality, with that ever present next appointment with the surgeon and anaesthetist, (today actually). Oh boo. I hate being laid up with anything, and just after shifting that cold too. Ah well, here's hoping it won't be too long before I am back at the drawing board getting those ideas out again. Believe it or not the ideas notebook is going with me today, there's so much waiting around time and there's bound to be something vital that pops into my head. The staff at the hospital are used to me and my constant mutterings and scribbles and find it hilarious that just as it's all happening, I think of something. Now hang on there a minute, I've got a great idea...ZZzzzzz.

Well anyway, as you know I don't dwell on such things and the imminent arrival of my desk this weekend is filling Squirrel HQ with a sense of progress and reality. Yes, with the delivery of a vintage (slightly beaten up) old desk bought relatively cheaply off Ebay, I really have started to think that this is going to happen. That old shed in the garden really is going to become a working studio, filled with friends, laughter, painting and learning. And with my work being exhibited in two places at once this week, (ISBA and SBA) things are looking up. Get the bunting out and the cream tea at the ready, the Lady Mayoress is about to declare the pavilion open for business.Three cheers...

So when life gives you lemons and you're a botanical artist,

Make a chart of lemony loveliness... 

...or sort through your lemons, there's always room for more...

...or just draw a lemon!

My art college drawing of a lemon segment, in colour pencils
and pastel.

It's not particularly good, but I keep this one just to remind me.

As the weekend weather here is set to be fine and sunny, 'Husband' will be firing up the barbecue and I'll just be sitting in the shade enjoying a glass of lemonade. Cheers everyone!      

Oh, and if you must, here's a recipe for lemonade:

Old-fashioned lemonade

Ingredients   Makes approx 1.2 litres

  • 4  lemons, sliced
  • 150 gram(s) caster sugar
  •  mint leaves, to serve

Method
  1. Place the lemons and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan with 1.2 litres water, bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain the lemonade into a bowl or jug and leave to cool. Pour over ice cubes and a few mint leaves in a jug to serve. 


2 comments:

shevaun said...

Wishing you all the best with your op, and a very speedy recovery!

Claire said...

Hope you're doing ok Jarnie , loads of love xxxxx