Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Casting my Wider Web

Whilst awaiting the arrival of the next sketchbook in the exchange, I have been busy updating some of the tech on the website. Being your own 'Webmaster' can be a daunting prospect, but if you want something done, do it yourself. So, this time I have been mucking about with getting a Facebook 'Like Box' on the website. Don't ask me, it's all about social plugins and HTML code and all sorts of geeky sounding stuff, but at least I had a step-by-step guide on which buttons to press and when to press them. Success, you can now view (and Like) the Sketchbook Squirrel Facebook page and keep up with updates on the News and Exhibitions page of the website. 

Of course, what it's really all about is painting. Since the little sketch of the pine seeds, not much painterly activity has been going on, apart from the recent colour charts. But plans are already afoot for next year's exhibitions with ideas and schemes coming into focus. I'm really looking forward to getting some of these things started.

Sadly, I was unable to submit pieces for the Bloom and Claregalway Castle exhibitions in Ireland this summer, but there are some wonderful opportunities coming up later this year that I am looking forward to taking part in, (more on that later). So, although we have a slight hiatus to get over, the brushes are on standby but the research is already under way. Ah, now that reminds me once more of my 10 challenges (remember those). So far I've got up to number 7 with Five Challenges and Enjoy What You Do  , now it's time for one more, and rather apt it is too.


What's in the sketchbook?
A typical page of
notes, sketches, cards, postcards,
and work by inspiring artists.  

8. Keep a Sketchbook. Following on from fieldwork, keeping a sketchbook is so much more than sketches and drawings, it's almost like an extension of the thought process. In my sketchbook, I leave notes to myself, sketch out thumbnails, make colour notes, write out snippets of quotes, poetry and even write friend's email addresses and stick postcards and the odd train or exhibition ticket in too. The one thing I am not good at, is carrying a sketchbook about with me, although this time I did take it to hospital with me, so I could allow my brain to rest and pause into the familiar. So this will be my challenge here, to make sure I have a small sketchbook with me at all times.

There's no excuse really with this many sketchbooks


    

    

2 comments:

shevaun said...

What a great collection of sketchbooks. You're right- it's an extension of your thought process. It's hard to get back to work after all the distractions that we've had, but a sketchbook is a great place to start. Hope you get well soon.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

My sketchbook has been close by these past couple of weeks. Lots of thoughts and ideas bustling around in it just now.