Monday, 11 August 2014

Sketchbooks and Scale Rules

This week, I have been working on the next sketchbook in the exchange project I am taking part in. For this one, I went a bit OTT with the midsummer theme. Prose, calligraphy, photography and sketches all went into this one and I must admit, it was loads of fun.

Honeysuckle berries and some of the mixes

You may remember I mentioned honeysuckle would be the main floral flourish here and I made sure there were blooms, buds and berries included on the page in all their pinky lusciousness. favourite colours such as Indanthrene Blue, Lemon Yellow, Perylene Maroon and Permanent Rose combined beautifully with a new favourite by Daniel Smith. Anthraquinoid Red has a lovely depth and lifts beautifully with the brush. The texture is soft and the paint itself makes gorgeous, deep blends.  
   
Summery shades of fresh green, pink and sunshine yellow




Purples and pinks on a partially open flower

Along with the painted elements, I decided to include a sprig rendered partially with ink. I love using my Rotring pen (as you may know) and I like the sketchy appeal of unfinished pieces in a sketchbook. Along with the written Shakespeare quote from A Midsummer Night's Dream, I hoped to create an old fashioned sketchbook appeal where mixed media and different elements would be combined.    

Pen and pencil along with painted elements 

So where are the finished pages I hear you cry. Ah well, you will have to visit The Natural Sketchbook Exchange blog to see how it all looks together.


Elsewhere, I have been getting re-acquainted with some old friends. Back in the day, I used to use a scale rule every day of my working life. Everything I drew for a new building had to be scaled down into the architectural drawings I would prepare. Although I haven't used it for years, I kept it and now find I need it again. Funny how things come round.


What goes around...

My old scale rule and a couple of other 'old friends'
  
At the weekend, it was lovely to have friend's over for dinner. Good weather, good food and good conversation really are what makes the world go round in our house and the good times continued to roll when I was presented with this lovely gift. or rather, the garden was.

Happy, yellow Rudbeckia

And my artichoke is getting ever-bigger


I sense a painting soon






2 comments:

valerie greeley said...

Hello, I have just found your lovely blog and have enjoyed looking at your previous posts. Your work is exquisite.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thank you for your lovely comments Valerie, I am so pleased you found me. Welcome to Sketchbook Squirrel.