Monday, 20 October 2014

Carpe diem

After such a strong start, I had hoped to get the back of the dahlia finished in just a week, but so far it has taken nearly three. It always amazes me how some of my fellow artists seem to be able to create a perfect masterpiece on a weekly, or even daily basis, (oh, how I envy just a little those who can complete the daily painting challenges) whilst I, a mere mortal take a bit longer. Well, okay, I'm being ungenerous there as of course, it's never that simple. But it does sometimes feel like a piece is not moving forward quickly enough, or getting near the end. Like a painting merry-go-round, that seems to go on forever, (well, a week longer than it should at least). Oh, life seemed so much easier as a teacher. Er, on reflection, perhaps not.

carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

(Sieze the day, and put no trust in the future)



Anyway, less of the grumbling, just get on with it, and seize the day. The quicker we start, the quicker it ends. So, as we were last week, the petals were building up quite nicely with the pinks, and mid-tones, whilst some colour was also applied to the stem. The top petals are looking almost there, so now to get the bottom ones to match.  

A new colour has entered the palette with Daniel Smith's Anthraquinoid Red. I wish it wasn't such a tongue twister of a name, but it is a delicious colour. Almost as good as my beloved Perylene Maroon, and a great substitute for the rather tricky Alizarin Crimson, Anthraquinoid Red has the same vibrancy and richness of pigment that my other favourites have. The sepals in particular have benefited from this amazing colour, and I am really looking forward to putting it truly through it's paces. (Many thanks to my good friend Sarah at The Natural Year for a very generous squidge for me to practise with) 

The delicious Anthraquinoid Red and some of the mixes I am using.

I love trying out new colours, and even with loads of water added
to make the mixes run, the results are really quite pretty. 

The rich consistency and beautiful flow quality of this colour is making for very lovely washes and mixes, especially when mixed with Perylene Maroon, Permanent Rose, Indanthrene Blue, and Quinacridone Magenta. The deepest tones I will be looking to create will come into their own with this one.


Remembering to take a break now and then to take a longer view.
Don't want to over work and lose those highlights


Building up the deepest tones on the sepals.
Anthraquinoid Red and Perylene Maroon with a touch of Indanthrene

   
A palette of pinks

Much as I have enjoyed painting this Dahlia, I must admit to looking forward to doing something different. Well, lunch break over, back to the back.


6 comments:

shevaun said...

What a beauty, Jarnie!

Claire said...

I can relate right now to a painting taking forever Jarnie!! I've just finished it now but I was working on a poppy commission for what seemed like an eternity! And it was take 2 as I cocked up the first one :/ I love those mixes xxxx

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Shevaun x

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh yes, well done with that Claire. Having to start again is such a bummer x

Janene said...

I am working on one that is taking forever too--when will it ever end!? The hardest thing is seeing so many other things that I want to be painting, but I want to see this one though. Your Dahlia is really lovely and thanks for the tip about Anth. Red mixing so well. I have it already but haven't used it much...yet!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

That's my problem too Janene. There are always so many other things that I want to be painting. oh I am really loving that red. Thanks to Sarah Morrish for putting me onto that one.