Friday, 31 October 2014

Opening Day

Well it's happened. Squirrel HQ is now well and truly open for business. On Thursday 30th october, and with very little ceremony, (alas Sir David Attenborough couldn't attend to cut the ribbon, ha ha) my first students came for a day of painting. of course, I did bake a sumptuous cake and there was plenty of celebratory tea to go round.

As always, there was plenty of laughter to go with the tuition, and although leaves with nibbly holes and imperfections seemed a little daunting, the little tricks I employ to help me get the job done, certainly helped the students get to grips with a tricky subject. By the end of the day, it was all smiles and an enormous sense of achievement, (for me as much as for the students). I was so delighted with their efforts and with how Squirrel HQ held her own on the first onslaught. By the end of the day, I was exhausted and couldn't quite believe that I really had done it. Ah, there's even some cake left.

Life is so much better with cake
To really push the boat out, I made a carrot cake
(for me a small slice and a few miles on the running machine afterwards)
All set up at my 'new' desk
So luxurious to have an old school oak desk to spread out on

A small demonstration study of a smoke bush leaf

I love having bits and bobs about the place.
Here, my dried out Allium seed head looks like a huge firework 

Feathers, seeds and other finds

And finally...

The smallest squash I have ever grown.
Pumpkin 'Munchkin' and Butternut Squash that should have been huge



      

2 comments:

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Well done Jarnie - that has been a major project - and good to see it getting a proper cake for opening for business day!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thank you so much Katherine. The support I have received from friends and fellow artists has been overwhelming. What was really great, was to be able to get feedback from the students about lighting and the space itself. Really useful experience, and looking forward to the next one.