Friday, 6 February 2015

The Six Ps

After 'Milestones' on Monday I was blessed to receive lots of lovely good wishes from friends that I have met and many friends that I have yet to meet. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that there are so many people out there keeping an eye out.   

As always at this time of year, the nerves are starting to set in. February is the month of the SBA submission day and there is always a last minute, hectic rush to get everything packed up and ready to go. Preparation is the key to the smooth running of this operation, and as my dear old college tutor taught me the importance of the 6 Ps, (perfect preparation prevents p**s poor performance) there's no time like the present. We can't have a poor performance, so to work. (See last year's post The Big Move )

Last year I was well prepared with tape, scissors, cloths and window cleaner all at the ready to get the pieces to their sparkling best. And it was nice to be able to assist other artists in getting their pieces ready too. Hopefully, this year I will be equally up to the task.

Essential kit
Cleaning cloth and glass cleaner. Scissors, tape, labels and tags

A friend recently reminded me that it's always a good idea to get a quote from your framer in advance to getting framing work done. Something I have forgotten to do this year and got stung for not doing so. There can be some wildly varying prices from your framer depending on the style of mount and moulding etc. and although my usual framer was reasonable in his pricing last year, I got a bit of a shock this time around.

This year I decided to go with a lovely new moulding I found at the framing company I use sometimes for mount boards. Although the framer was happy to use it, he has charged me a small fortune to do them. Really, I should have been more upfront to get a quote before agreeing to getting them done. Cross with myself, but a lesson learned.


Space Station Stiffy
The bags will need to be resized for the smaller pieces this year.
But I will just tape them up so as not to waste the material.

After the expense of beautiful framing, you don't want a breakage on arrival. 

This week also saw the arrival of some cards I had printed. Really I just wanted to see how they turned out, so I went with the online company Moo. Their site is so simple to use and there is a quick turnaround on the orders too.  The card used is nice and thick and although there is no choice of size, these ones look quite nice. If you're really feeling in the mood to go all out, you can customise your envelopes with brightly coloured linings. But I just went with good old plain white.


New cards

Quite nice as a set too

As the sizes and themes match, I will make these up as sets as well as individual cards. The purple has come out particularly well, but it's still the back of the dahlia which is my personal favourite.



  

6 comments:

Brownmouse said...

Eek - I'm nervous now! I am submitting for the first time this year and have no idea what to expect. Have you any top tips?!

Brownmouse said...

Also - your cards are beautiful. The back of the clematis is my favourite.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Hi Brownmouse and thank you for your kind comment.

As to SBA submission. If you are going yourself, get there early, make sure your paperwork is filled out properly and take a bag with you to take your wrapping away with you. Lastly, you will have done all you can, so relax and say hello to people :) I will probably be going myself, so come over and say Hi.

Brownmouse said...

Thank you! Sadly still teaching full time so My parents are kindly taking my work. I shall be there in spirit though!

Claire said...

Id missed this post Jarnie, love your moo cards especially the back views, stunning. I got some done once and was impressed too. :)

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Yes, I was really pleased too Claire. They're pretty good, even though they are not 'art' printers.