Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Lighting the Fire

Well, along with the thorny issue of the brambles, I really have to tackle something else. With so many greens and serrations going on, painting a bramble can be a lengthy and painstaking affair. Thus, a good break from it can be just the tonic. So, time for another subject methinks. Favourably without lots of really tiny, tricky details. 

Of course, at this time of year, the garden is still a little bereft of subjects and it's all very well going forth and spending like blazes yet again at the supermarket or florist. Yikes that can be expensive. I guess that's why I like hedgerow species so much. It doesn't matter what time of year you pass by, there's always something interesting going on in a hedge. So much so that my good friend Sarah has created a whole new blog on exactly this topic. do have a read of Art and the Hedgerow. Mind you, I do have some workshops coming along soon, and spring flowers are always popular, so tulips might be nice. I digress.


Detail of my Winter Hedgerow piece


“Each of us is born with a box of matches inside us but we can't strike them all by ourselves” 


- Laura Esquivel, Like Water for Chocolate



Anyway, back to that bramble. The finer details are all in, with thorns, serrations and veining all mapped in and ready to go. Of course, I will be getting stuck in with my latest passion, my collection of new paints from M. Graham. It's a shame that there are so few stockists of this lovely brand in the UK, but at least we can get hold of them.



Big, punchy colours can do light and subtle too.


Everyone has been made for some particular work, 

and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.


-Rumi



Checking the colour balance of light, mid-tone and dark.
Shadow colours a more purple. Mixed by adding a touch more blue and yellow to the dark pink mix.
Quinacridone Rose, Anthraquinoid Blue and Azo Yellow compared to a mix using
Permanent Rose, French Ultramarine and Lemon Yellow, (left) 

Making a start.
I'm loving how the M. Graham paints apply so smoothly

The first sprig of blossoms, almost complete.
Next up, buds.
I don't like to go too heavy with the shading too early on.
The greens of the other buds and stems going in around the flowers will bring them forward.
Once complete, I can adjust the balance. 


No comments: