Thursday, 14 May 2015

P is for Painting, Palettes and Panic

So, the past week has been one of excitement and anticipation, (but with a bit of a jolt along the way). First was the return of 'Husband' from his travels. Then came a relaxed few days at home, then came the jolt. Just when I thought I could now get on and finish the bramble painting, my summons from the surgeon arrived. Oh yes, that means I shall have to take a break from the painting. 

"TAKE A BREAK!" you have got to be kidding, we're on a meter with this one and the clock is ticking. Crikey! So, needless to say, the relaxed week I had planned for Husband hit the buffers and he has now been dispatched to look after himself while I remain chained to the desk to get this monster finished. Or as finished as I can get it.

These things happen, and it is a timely reminder that the unexpected can always happen at any time, (usually the most inconvenient). In the past, this sort of thing would have sent me into a spiral of panic and confusion, but now I am pretty used to it, and just get on. It's a good idea to have a contingency plan in place, just in case the worst should happen and a deadline is at risk.


Really wanted to get this last little cluster of leaves finished, but these will have to wait.

A big old puddle of greens and browns


With any project, I always try to start as early as possible, especially if there is a deadline that is fixed. Working backwards from the due date and dividing the project up into chunks helps to give me a better idea of the time I have to complete each bit. Sketchbook studies, composition, drawing, tracing and colour matching get it all under way, then it's onto the piece itself. Looking at the bramble, I started with the flowers and buds and gave myself a set time to get this finished by, then onto the leaves (the largest and most complex portion), then berries, stems and thorns. I also like to give myself a few days for finishing touches and tightening up.

Nearly there

Of course, if the worst should happen and you have to start again, the decision as to whether or not you have enough time to finish comes up. This is why I make sure I have a few shortcuts to fall back on like the sketchbook studies, photos and master tracings. Always handy should disaster strike.

   

No comments: