Monday, 4 May 2015

Six Degrees of Separation

Well, it's an exciting week this week as 'Husband' returns from his travels. Yes, he's been working away for a good few months (six in all, not counting the panic hiatus in January when he had to come home for a few weeks), so I have been holding the fort, and enjoying a little peace and quiet into the bargain.

Of course, it's always hard when you have a partner who works away a lot, missing birthdays and Christmas and more often than not, our Wedding Anniversary! Still, you just have to go with it, as once he's back, it's like having Tigger in the house. So, come Wednesday normal service of mayhem will resume.

Here's what it's like with 'Husband' about. As someone more inclined to Eeyore, I do my best to keep up.




Of course work has continued, and I'm now onto the next section of leaves on what I am currently calling the 'Bramble Paradise'. As the light is more evident on these leaves, I am making sure lots of soft highlights are kept and I am also using more blue toned colours. Blue tends to recede, so will give depth of field to the piece. Also, bramble leaves appear more blue when light hits them, so it's always good to include as much tonal variation to demonstrate the characteristics of a plant.


Blue-greens with touches of fresher, brighter hues gives a good range of colours
Keeping plenty of light on the upper leaf will hopefully extend the focal range too.

I'm not going to work too much more on this upper leaf, as I want to keep as much light as I can.
I might darken up a few areas though.

The leaf underneath has just two wet-in-wet washes on it, so needs plenty more doing to it



The folded leaf is going to be a bot tricky, so I have left it for now

The other leaves in this group are finished, (I think) 


How things are shaping up.

It's a long, slow process, but I can see the shape evolving, and I quite like it.





   

4 comments:

Natasha Hill said...

Your illustrations are beautiful, I love the varying level of colour in each of the leaves - they look so real! - Tasha

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Natasha, I love to capture the varying tones and colours in leaves. I see them as the Cinderella of the botanical art world.x

Inky Leaves said...

You are so good at brambles! Love the greens. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Jess, I've certainly had enough practise. Hope to be back to it soon.